Sunday 18 March 2018

Determining God's Will


Faith is a area that I struggle with, and with the little faith that I have I find myself in front of a self made mountain and crying out for God's help. I believe that God has put me on this path even though I am ill equipped. It is at times like these that I start questioning, did God really want me on this path and it is this morning's quiet time reading that God clearly spoke through his word to me.

Yes I know that I am like Gideon in the Old Testament, wanting a clear and precise instruction, and it has to be confirmed, not once but over and over again even if the angel of the Lord stood right in front of me and told me this is the will of God. Reading the account of Gideon braaing some meat, making a soup, and some unleven bread for the angel to sacrifice, at first I thought God doesn't like soup because the angel poured the soup out onto the ground and used his rod to sacrifice the meat and bread but then I remembered the story of Elijah pouring water onto the sacrifices before God zapped them with His holy fire. So the soup must have been poured onto the meat and bread before the sacrificial fire. Gideon believed then when he saw this but was not long afterwards that he needed a reconformation.

After pondering on this account of Gideon, I was led to 1 Thessalonians 4:3-12 of the New Testament where God spoke clearly to me, this is His will for me...

"It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister. The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit. 

Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

Later on in the morning, at Centre Church for the first service, a word was mentioned that God will provide a path through the mountain that stands in front of me.
  

No comments:

Popular Posts