Monday 18 March 2019

Rolling Blackouts


We recently moved to new offices in Sandton, only to find out that they have no backup generators in case of rolling blackouts or as we politically call them loadshedding as to excuse the pun, my light of how serious it actually is.

South Africa needs about 46GW of power but are only producing about 28GW. With the recent cyclone hitting Mozambique last week, the powerlines carrying 700MW to South Africa were taken down by the storm. This 0.7GW does not count for our base power but needed now when we are at an all time low.

So here I sit, the battery of my laptop is finished and all I can do is put my head on my desk and start wondering how Eskom got us into. Here is another conspiracy theory for my readers to consider. What about the Russians? Yip you read that correctly. We are coming up to our elections and the Russians have been known to meddle in the digital space leading up to elections such as the USA elections a few years back that helped Trump get into power. And then there is money. Zuma signed a deal between Russia and South Africa to build nuclear power stations, but that was put on hold due to Zuma being kicked out. But a deal was a deal and surely the Russians won't give up without a fight.

And now the rolling blackouts, uhmmm makes you think.

No comments:

Popular Posts