Thursday 26 March 2015

Dancing with Mama Dorothy Masuku


Would you believe it if told you that I was pulled up onto the stage in front of a live audience and danced with Mama Africa? Yes the legendary Mama Dorothy Masuku as she sang her song Khauleza. Hurry Mama hurry, the police are coming, hurry hide the umqombothi. At first I was afraid, I was petrified! Couldn’t think at all, like a rabbit in the headlights, at 79 years of age Mama Dorothy took me by the hand and showed me that white men can dance. Must have been only minutes but it felt like hours, Khauleza mama, I danced like I never danced before. In that moment I was too star struck to think that there now may be photographs of me in the wild, dancing, oh what a skandaal! Oh never mind just bring me some more umqombothi as I don’t think I am in Kansas any more.


We celebrated with Victor Masondo as his concert 21 Songs for 21 Years of Democracy opened at Joburg Theatre tonight. Icons of the South African music brought us the rich culture of music that we have here in South Africa. I think the umqombothi and dancing is getting to me as I can’t remember all the names of the stars who performed tonight but some big stars walked onto the stage tonight, names that are hard not to forget, my favourite Johnny Clegg, our own Stevie Wonder the legendary Steve Kekana, and even Kurt Darren.


Now bring me some more umqombothi as the SA Idols winner Tumi Lesejane sings some Brenda Fassie songs.


Popular Posts