Thursday 23 April 2009

So where to now?

So where to now, I ask myself as I find myself once again in Soweto this time the day after elections. At Anchor Comprehensive School in Medowlands we found the school kids loitering in the streets around the school. We stopped at the school and asked the children what was happening, why weren’t they at school. To our horror we found out that the teachers did not turn up to teach. At the next school we found the headmaster who told us that the teachers were helping to count the votes. Stuff the kids. On the drive back to Johannesburg we passed the Morris Issacson High School. This was the school that saw the launch of the 16 June 1976 student uprising in Soweto. This is now a tourist destination and has artwork along the street in front of the school. “EDUCATION IS OPEN 2 EVERYBODY” declared one piece of art. From the schools that I have seen and the kids that I have interacted with in Soweto, education has not come very far since 1994. So where to now Mr JZ?

No comments:

Popular Posts