Thursday 8 August 2019

Baptist Under Fire


Yay it is long weekend with tomorrow being Women's Day, the day women in South Africa stood up for their rights and we now get to have a public holiday to celebrate, no wait to pause and relax. 

Anyway my day was not over until the fat lady sang. First is was a Kloof Security meeting in Kenmare. On the way to the meeting, I heard on the short wave radio the call go out for volunteer firefighters to help relieve the out of control veld fire burning on the ridge slopes by the Baptist Union church. When my meeting was over, I radioed into the Ops Room to ask if they still needed help with the fire. The City of Johannesburg's Fire Department still had not arrived and yes they still needed help.

Arriving on the scene I found the few Roodekrans Neighbour Hood Watch members that had responded to help get the fire under control were getting medical treatment of fresh oxygen before heading back out to the firing line. These few brave men and women did a good job keeping the fire at bay until the fire department arrived, which thankfully they finally arrived.

"I was gonna fight the fire until I got high. Yeah, hey because I got high"! Oh that was the Afroman song that I tried to sing when smell of dagga wafted out of the flames towards us. There must have been some marijuana plants or holy weed in the veld below the Baptist church that went up in smoke.

No comments:

Popular Posts