Saturday 6 April 2019

Elettrica in the Rain


Vespa South Africa held the launch of the new Vespa Elettric today and sadly it was forecasted that today would be 70% rain. From the outset I thought that I would be playing with Elettrica in the rain which didn't turn me on in the least. 


The rain held off and I climbed onto the saddle of the 2019 Vespa Elettrica. Now I am all for this greenification of the motor industry but I was shocked to find out that I could not go over 49km/h on the racetrack. Afterwards I commented to the sales people at Vespa, they said that the speed is fixed at 49km/h, why I never got an answer. Now who in their right mind would ride down a busy South African road during rush hour maxing out at only 49km/h while the cars and taxis are flying past you. Surely it must be more dangerous than playing in the rain with electricity. The range of the Elettrica while in eco mode is 100km but eco mode's top speed is only 30km/h, ouch. Range of electric vehicles have been programmatic, that I knew but such low speeds? To follow up I have read that the reason for the slow speed is for the Elettrica to fly under the radar because in quite a few states in America it can be ridden without a licence as it would be classified as a moped.


Yes on the track the sound from the Vespa Elettrica was only the soft whine of the electric motor and the tyres on the road but I really was hoping for more from this little Vespa. I think Vespa is attempting to attract new young riders as no licence means no insurance, I think. Maybe I just set my hopes too high for a electric bike that the Elettrica has brought me down a peg or two. This is Africa not America, unless you can ride this Vespa without a licence in South Africa too, uhmmm. I wonder if the BMW C Evolution will bring back hope for the electric scooter. 

My day wasn't ruined though as I got to test ride the new Vespa GTS 300 HPE on the track, the brand's most powerful scooter yet. Now this was something I could get a grips with.

No comments:

Popular Posts