Saturday 28 April 2018

Spook van Leeuberg


Last night when we got near to the farmhouse, Leeuberg, where we would be staying for the next few nights, I saw that it was way out in the platteland but with no visible farm security. I was very concerned with all the farm murders that are currently taking place but when I woke up this morning I found that we were surrounded by armoured vehicles. Included was an American Sherman Tank, a Russian T-34, and a guard tower from South West Africa border war. Oh dear where did I wake up.

The Leeuberg or Lion Mountain farmhouse built in 1849, it was creepy at first, it was like a museum of sorts but it grew on me although having to stand on the bed just to try get cellular signal wasn't so cool, nor was the talk of ghosts but that I am to blame for starting that conversation. I mean I couldn't help myself with all the photos of dead people hanging around. If you look carefully in the picture above, you will see the ghost in the mirror. The story goes that this farmstead was the home of a retired Prussian general who was killed in the Basotho Wars and his widow held off the English from burning it down during the Boer War. Lots of history here. 

Okay enough of the Spook van Leeuberg, this 8 sleeper farmhouse is actually very nice and peaceful. The walls are nearly half a metre thick, due to it been built out of mud hence no cell phone reception. At night all I hear is an owl hoot somewhere outside. 


No comments:

Popular Posts