Friday 9 December 2011

Brighton Rock


Today started with a sheet of water pouring down from the heavens. This ruled out taking the Vespa to work. So off in the Sussette, my pickup, I went but didn't get very far. One part of the road had this overflowing stream bursting across the road. Taking a change I edged across and once I was safely on the other side Sussette decided to that she didn't like the swim and started miss firing.

Stuck on the side of the road in the rain, trying to dry the cables didn't help. I needed to open the distributor cap and dry inside but I didn't have any screwdrivers in my tool kit. I was truly stuck. So I phoned a friend for help. While my friend was fighting rush hour traffic to get to me, I realized that there was a screwdriver in my camera bag. Don't ask.

Opening the distributer cap, water just poured out. Found the problem. My friend arrived and with him was some compressed water repellant just the thing I needed. After spraying copious amounts I screwed the distributor cap back on only to find that I left the distributor out. Sigh. The worst part was when my friend finally arrived; the once raging river crossing the road was just a puddle. Trying to explain what happened was like telling the story about the fish that got away.

That was my morning flushed away. So it was catch up at work for the rest of the afternoon. Driving home in the late afternoon, Magda phoned to say that she is arranging movie tickets for this evening to see Brighton Rock which was screening at Cedar Square.

Now Brighton Rock is a very dark broody murder movie set in the 60s when the Mods and Rockers where clashing and reminded me a lot of Ducktails that we had here in Johannesburg and Durban. It is defiantly a must see movie even if you go just for the Vespas and Lambrettas but please remember it is a very heavy movie with emphasis on the 60s style gangs and mix of Catholicism.

My heart was heavy when I saw the plight women found themselves in and how they were treated back in those days. Is it any better today? The part that touched me the most was in the end when Rose put on the record to listen to the voice of Pinkie and because of a scratch she only heard him say up to "I love you" over and over again while the camera panned up to the out of focus crucifix on the wall. That scene screamed out at me that God was protecting Rose from what else Pinkie had to say on that record which we got to hear earlier.

No comments:

Popular Posts