Monday 20 April 2015

Young Abraham Lincoln


"The problem with internet quotes is that you can’t always depend on its accuracy" – Abraham Lincoln, 1862. Well this quote nails it on its head, ooh there is just one small problem. 1862 and internet in the same sentence. I came across this very problem during the xenophobic crisis that we are having currently in South Africa. One of the photos that started circulating this week as to show what was happening was taken by Jon Hrusa. Those who regularly follow my blog would know that I attended Jon’s funeral way back in 2011 and I am sure in spirit he would be ashamed of what was happening. Okay although I am appalled to hear what is happening, I also want you to be 100% sure that the news or image you are sharing on social is correct and current. We can’t have any falseness mixing in with the truth because that just dilutes what is happening.

Even today, the Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini is trying to spin doctor himself out of not saying that all foreigners must leave South Africa and thereby exciting the masses to afrophobia. He said like a true politician that his words were taken out of context. All I see is a leader who dares not apologise for the mistakes he made.

Here is Jacques from the signage team, looking like our very own Abraham Lincoln, hence I opened with his not so his quote. So I will end with one of his truly famous ones "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time" and no this not a young Abraham Lincoln nor a doppelgänger but Jacques.

No comments:

Popular Posts