Sunday 19 January 2014

Preach it Taxi Driver


In South Africa, the public transport is unreliable, unsafe and in most cases non-existent. Well that is if you don't count the mini bus taxi industry. Born out of the Apartheid South Africa, mini bus taxis have become a law unto themselves. They force their own way through the traffic, impervious to the law and other road uses. I don't have much of a problem with the taxis while on my Vespa, as they are courteous to me and even give way. Maybe they love what a Vespa can do in the clogged up traffic and even envy me as I zip through like butter, or maybe, just maybe, I look rather big and intimidating on my small black Vespa.

After church this morning, I came across this local preacher who was at the same time a taxi driver. Talk about a captive audience. Now that reminds me, have you heard the story about the Preacher and the Taxi Driver?

No? Okay then, this Preacher dies and finds himself at the Pearly Gates. After standing before St Peter for quite some time while the gate keeper battled to find the Preacher's name in the big book, this Taxi Driver strolls casually up. St Peter seeing the Taxi Driver, smiles with recognition. He quickly stops what he was doing and quickly ushers the Taxi Driver through the Pearly Gates to the bewilderment of the Preacher.

After picking up his jaw off the ground, the Preacher asks St Peter "Why? Why? Why did you let that Taxi driver through without even blinking your eye, yet you have kept me waiting so long here? Surely I, a Preacher have way more rights to enter into the Kingdom than that unlawful Taxi Driver". "Well", said St Peter, "let me see, oh yes, now tell Mr Preacher, when you preach every Sunday, how many of your congregants nod off to sleep? And when you pray, don't you hear some of your congregants even snoring from the back?" Unable to answer St Peter, the Preacher simply looked down at his feet, wishing the cloud that he was standing on, just open up and swallow him whole.

"Now you saw that that Taxi Driver", continued St Peter, "yes, that Taxi Driver, every time he drives, all his passengers are praying?"

No comments:

Popular Posts