Wednesday 2 October 2013

Biplanes and Washlines


After spending over a week in a villa on the lower south coast where my friends that were with me were calling it heaven, I was thinking that only 2% of the world's population live like this all the time. Yes it was beautiful and yes I am one of those 2% but while the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and I feel helpless to stem the tide even if it is one starfish at a time.

At times like this when my heart gets all heavy, I think of my favourite statistician professor, Dr Hans Rosling, who made an awesome video about the Wash Machine or as I like to call it the Poverty Line, Wash Line and the Air Line. Worth a watch if you don't enjoy sitting in front of the wash machine.

At lunch time, I came across this man who is no doubt living way below the Poverty Line but is turning to his creative side to buy some bread by making biplane models out of board while I just wish I was boarding an aeroplane to fly away to another exotic holiday that only the 2% can afford.

1 comment:

Leadership Institute for Girls said...

Wow, Jerome, this is profound - I hear you loud and clear.

Popular Posts