Saturday 26 January 2013

Flap-necked Chameleon


Arriving back home in the head of the mid day sun after a morning of month end shopping, this little fellow was seen crossing my driveway. The Chamaeleo dilepis or Flap-necked Chameleon is known are known to grow about 35cm and this chameleon was close to 25cm. I think this is a male because I found on the internet that the males have a distinct swelling at the base of their tails and this one does although I didn't see any small backward projecting spurs on their hind legs. But I am no herpetologist so please correct me if I am wrong.

While carrying him or her to a safer location it changed colour and lost its dark green spots which reminded me of the traditional Zulu story of why the chameleon manages to change its colour. You can read the story here Four Generations of Sibanyoni and you can find out why the chameleon is very sad for letting God down and has been hiding from Him ever since.

Change of subject, Matthew is still in hospital and has blacked out three times today. They are still waiting for the results from the blood tests and it looks like he will be in hospital till Monday. Please continue to pray for him.

No comments:

Popular Posts