Monday 28 May 2012

Blurred Reality


Alone, seul, de manière objective: il n'y a personne d'autre. Sigh! The line between being alone and lonely is starting to blur. Here I sit in front of this computer screen, the dogs cuddled up under the blankets while the heater wards off the chill of winter's bite. And Olga is no-where to be found. Using my favourite Afrikaans word, die beeldradio is playing in the background just so I can hear human voices.

Loneliness breaks the spirit and as I type these words, my step father lies alone in a hospital bed about a hundred kilometers away waiting for life saving surgery. And here I sit on a cold winter's night. Someone once wrote that in cities no one is quiet but many are lonely; in the country, people are quiet but few are lonely. Now has anyone seen my Olga? I think I am in bad company.

God, I am lonely and he answers you may feel lonely but it doesn't mean that you are alone. Don't worry about me, tomorrow I will put on my mask with its big smile and step out into the world where I will feel right as rain.

Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy, hand in hand.
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.

No comments:

Popular Posts