Saturday 17 March 2012

St Patrick's Day


So what's the crack? From what I can remember Paddies' Day has never really been big in the Emerald Isle only in the countries with all the Irish expats. They say that there are only two kinds of people in the world, the Irish, and those who wish they were. Well at least one of my ancestors came from Contae Ros Comáin or in english County Roscommon and it is not so nice having Roscommon as your third name so you wouldn't forget your roots, what were my parents thinking. Pass me another Kilkenny.

Debbie and Peter, needed no other excuse for a shindig, so quite a number of us ended up at their home for a lekker braai and green cocktails. Thank goodness I got a lift with Craig, so I could let my hair down. Peter later brought out his guitar and we all sang songs into the night.

Now I am safely back home writing this blog listening to some good Irish songs. Here is one for Moira... this one is by Steve Earle, the Galway Girl

Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk
Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk
Of a fine soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
And I knew right then I'd be takin' a whirl
'Round the Salthill Prom with a Galway girl

We were halfway there when the rain came down
Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
And she asked me up to her flat downtown
Of a fine soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
So I took her hand and I gave her a twirl
And I lost my heart to a Galway girl

When I woke up I was all alone
With a broken heart and a ticket home
And I ask you now, tell me what would you do
If her hair was black and her eyes were blue
I've traveled around I've been all over this world
Boys I ain't never seen nothin' like a Galway girl

No comments:

Popular Posts