Friday 30 December 2011

Hogmanay


Wow, after a hectic fast pace start of the summer holidays, today is where the rubber meets the road, well just about. Matthew and I got stuck into my small cottage and did a top to bottom spring clean. I am not sure we could call it a spring clean but our sort of old year cleaning which marks the start of the Hogmanay. So before the Auld Lang Syne can be sung full cleaning needs to be done so we can fling open the doors and windows to let in the fresh clean air of the New Year. Like out with the old and in with the new.

So before we leave on our holiday away from home holiday, we prepared our vehicle for the trip, washed all the linen and bedding, moved all the furniture out of the cottage, vacuumed then mopped the floors. We rested while the floors dried; me on the patio and Matthew in front of the TV. Then we brought all the furniture back in. I must say the dogs behaved themselves and stayed well clear.

By afternoon we were pooped. Matthew retired to the computer while I retired to the patio. Too many goodbyes have been said this year, too many. Sigh. Tomorrow we say the last goodbye in 2011 and this will be to 2011 itself.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my jo, for auld lang syne, we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp and surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my jo, for auld lang syne, we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

We twa hae run about the braes, and pu'd the gowans fine;
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit, sin auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my jo, for auld lang syne, we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn, frae morning sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar'd sin auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my jo, for auld lang syne, we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere and gie's a hand o' thine!
And we'll tak a right gude-willy waught, for auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my jo, for auld lang syne, we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

No comments:

Popular Posts